[R-SIG-Mac] GCC Wiki GFortran

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 18:31:21 CEST 2012

On 30 Aug 2012, at 17:10, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> Not for CRAN binary unless you do sed 's:gfortran -arch:gfortran-4.2 -arch:g' on both Makeconf files …
>>
>> are you saying the binaries (R + whatever libraries I install) using fortran will not work with GCC fortran?  I am confused.
>>

> The *binaries* don't care about the Fortran as R comes with its own gfortran runtime, but you can't compile packages that have Fortran code with FSF Fortran as it doesn't understand Apple flags.

>>> Can't you just set FC and F77 to gfortran-4.2 when configuring Julia?
>>
>> It used to be possible (I did successfully build julia on Lion with the R gfortran add on for Lion), though now I am on ML and julia has a fit trying to build arpack with a fortran < 4.4.  As I posted above from the julia dev conversation I started:
>>
>> "The problem is not BLAS, but your version of gfortran. Mac provides a built-in system blas, so it is not required to build our own. However, "checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown" is a problem. It appears that the R version of gfortran is too old to build arpack (a quick google search reveals that gfortran older than 4.4 won't build code properly on 64 bit -- yours is 4.2.3) ."
>>

> But then it's using the wrong compiler ... did you change FC to gfortran-4.2 in Make.inc? I didn't realize that julia doesn't even have a reasonable build system, so you have to edit it by hand …

Just to test, I removed julia altogether, cloned the git repo, edited Make.inc to have FC = gfortran-4.2 and I get:

…
…
i686-apple-darwin8-gfortran-4.2: unrecognized option '-shared'
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "_MAIN__", referenced from:
      _main in libgfortranbegin.a(fmain.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [amos/libamos.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [julia-release] Error 2
make: *** [release] Error 2

So it looks like there is no way of building julia with R gfortran.

Cheers

PS