[R-SIG-Mac] R console

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Aug 24 16:27:52 CEST 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at me.com> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Noia Raindrops <noia.raindrops at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I thing you need to install X11.app.
>> see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293
>

> Strictly speaking, that is only needed on Mountain Lion, as prior versions of OSX include X11 on the installation DVD/DMG.
>
> I don't use the R OSX GUI, but Emacs/ESS. That being said, I can replicate the problem on Mountain Lion (10.8.1) with XQuartz installed.
>
> If Weiwei is using ML, then he should install the above, however note that the name of the app is now XQuartz.app and not X11.app. So even if installed, the GUI icon selection will still fail.
>
> If  Weiwei is not using ML, then X11 is available on the installation DVD on pre-Lion versions of OSX, or if on Lion (10.7) it is available from the 'Packages' folder on the install DMG.
>
> I am adding John Fox as a cc: to this e-mail as in the course of searching, I noted the R Commander installation instructions (http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html), which includes mention of X11.app, but not XQuartz.app for Mountain Lion. So that page and related documentation will need to be updated.

... and just to be explicit - there is no X11 on OS X 10.8 anymore. Apple has removed it from the OS and no longer supports it.

One X11 build is available as 3rd party download from http://xquartz.macosforge.org but it is no longer Apple's X11 as included in previous OS X versions. The current R GUI release only supports Apple's X11 (i.e., the autostart etc.; you can still use X11 R packages with any X11 implementation).