[R-SIG-Mac] GCC Wiki GFortran

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 12:34:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

I used to be able to use the Fortran binaries provided by Simon for both R and Julia, but alas this will not be possible anymore:

"The problem is not BLAS, but your version of gfortran. Mac provides a built-in system blas, so it is not required to build our own. However, "checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown" is a problem. It appears that the R version of gfortran is too old to build arpack (a quick google search reveals that gfortran older than 4.4 won't build code properly on 64 bit -- yours is 4.2.3) ."

I could install the GFortran from here: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#MacOS. but (1) they will overwrite /usr/local/bin/gfortran (with a symlink) and (2) I don't know if it will work for R.

So, will the GCC binary work for R, or is it going to be utter PITA?  I'm on 10.8, Xcode 4.4.1 + CLI add-ons and all the other bells and whistles.

BW

Federico C. F. Calboli
Neuroepidemiology and Ageing Research
Imperial College, St. Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com