[R-SIG-Mac] troubles with tkrplot

Day, Roger S day01 at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 23 20:00:48 CEST 2012

**** Let me give this another try. Still a problem with 2.14.2 ***

Problems with tcl/tk, tkrplot etc, running R.app or R on Lion :

Running the example from tkrplot,
dozens of error messages are generated of the form
1: In plot.xy(xy, type, ...) :
 X11 protocol error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
2: In plot.xy(xy, type, ...) :
 X11 protocol error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
3: In axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
 X11 protocol error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
etcetera.

My work with tcltk was dormant for a long time ... over a year.
I don't remember these messages before.  Makes me suspect Lion.
I've reinstalled R and tcltk;  no change.

X11 "about" shows "XQuartz 2.6.3 (xorg-server 1.10.3)".
I've tried installing XQuartz 2.7.1, but then R hangs on loading tcltk.
So I reset DISPLAY to ":0" or ":1", and X11 works fine but generates the error messages noted.

The tkrplot example code does work as it's supposed to - the plot updates as one resets the slider -  despite the error messages.

But I want to understand what's happening...
and of course for my project, though it is working, I don't want these messages plaguing users.

Any advice?  Or redirect my question to another forum?
Thanks for any help!

platform       x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0
arch           x86_64
os             darwin9.8.0
system         x86_64, darwin9.8.0
status
major          2
minor          14.0
year           2011
month          10
day            31
svn rev        57496
language       R
version.string R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)

Roger Day
University of Pittsburgh Departments of Biomedical Informatics and
Biostatistics
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
Room 310, Suite 301
Cancer Pavilion (CNPAV)
5150 Centre Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15232