[R-SIG-Mac] configuration failed for package ‘rJava’

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Apr 20 22:27:19 CEST 2012

On Apr 20, 2012, at 2:59 PM, bugreport19621012 at fastmail.fm wrote:

> I am on a Mac Lion.  sessionInfo() is below my signature.
>
> I attempted to install GGally and its dependencies. This led to the following error:
>
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘rJava’
>
> and the following piece of advice:
>
> Make sure you have Java Development Kit installed and correctly registered in R.
> If in doubt, re-run "R CMD javareconf" as root.
>
> So I ran "R CMD javareconf" as root. This seemed to work fine:
>
> BEGIN QUOTE
>
> /Volumes/spin/SoftwareDownload/R> whoami
> root
> /Volumes/spin/SoftwareDownload/R> R CMD javareconf
> Java interpreter : /usr/bin/java
> Java version     : 1.6.0_31
> Java home path   :
> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
> Java compiler    : /usr/bin/javac
> Java headers gen.: /usr/bin/javah
> Java archive tool: /usr/bin/jar
> Java library path: JNI linker flags : -framework JavaVM
> JNI cpp flags    : -I$(JAVA_HOME)/include
>
> Updating Java configuration in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources
> Done.
>
> END QUOTE
>
> I closed and reopened R and again attempted
>
> install.packages("rJava", type="source")
>
> since the binary is not available for Mac.

That is not true - it is available on CRAN:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/rJava_0.9-3.tgz
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14/rJava_0.9-3.tgz

are you using some incomplete mirror?

> But this returned the same error as before.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you have Java Developer package installed.
On Lion Apple no longer includes headers in the JVM home, so you have to set JAVA_CPPFLAGS to point inside the JavaVM framework:

JAVA_CPPFLAGS=-I/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers R CMD javareconf

That said, I'd still recommend you use the binary.