[R-SIG-Mac] xmlTreeParse

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 18 06:31:10 CEST 2012

Thanks, Simon.

XML installs just fine.  The problem comes when I do:
[R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)]

> > library(XML)
> > url <- "http://stats.grok.se/en/201204/Financial_crisis"
> wikitree <- xmlTreeParse(url, useInternalNodes=T)
> url <- "http://stats.grok.se/en/201204/Financial_crisis"
> > wikitree <- xmlTreeParse(url, useInternalNodes=T)
> AttValue: " or ' expected
> attributes construct error
> Couldn't find end of Start Tag link line 11
> Opening and ending tag mismatch: hr line 57 and body
> Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 48 and html
> Premature end of data in tag html line 3
> Error: 1: AttValue: " or ' expected
> 2: attributes construct error
> 3: Couldn't find end of Start Tag link line 11
> 4: Opening and ending tag mismatch: hr line 57 and body
> 5: Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 48 and html
> 6: Premature end of data in tag html line 3

This pinpoints the error that I get when I try to run the function wikiStat() from:
http://expansed.com/2011/08/visualising-wikipedia-search-statistics-with-r/

> critraffic <- wikiStat("Financial_crisis", monback = 40)
>
> Attaching package: 'mondate'
>
> The following object(s) are masked from 'package:base':
>
>     cbind, rbind
>
> AttValue: " or ' expected
> attributes construct error
> Couldn't find end of Start Tag link line 11
> Opening and ending tag mismatch: hr line 57 and body
> Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 48 and html
> Premature end of data in tag html line 3
> Error: 1: AttValue: " or ' expected
> 2: attributes construct error
> 3: Couldn't find end of Start Tag link line 11
> 4: Opening and ending tag mismatch: hr line 57 and body
> 5: Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 48 and html
> 6: Premature end of data in tag html line 3

I can use Safari to access the url
http://stats.grok.se/en/201204/Financial_crisis
without problem.

Incidentally, I get the same result under Windows 7 (R-2.14.2 or R-2.15.0).
If I am right in thinking that I have to sort out issues of 3rd party libraries to get the
function to run, I prefer to do this for OS 10.7.x, if at all possible.

It is of course possible that there has been some change at the url since wikiStat()
was posted, of which I need to take account.

NB also a later article that uses this function:
http://expansed.com/2011/08/r-popularity-steady-growth-and-new-york-times/
( ar <- wikiStat("R_(programming_language)", monback = 45, lang= 'en') )

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm