[R-SIG-Mac] Building binary packages for distribution

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 17:36:53 CEST 2012

I have hitherto used a Leopard system to build Mac binary packages for
distribution, but that system has died and we only have Lion systems
left (and the replacement hardware only runs Lion).  I'm only concerned
with building i386/x86_64 packages.

We saw problems with packages built on Snow Leopard which would not run
on Leopard, and the trick was to use -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 for
compiling and linking.

Does anyone know for certain if that suffices?  And does setting the
environment variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.5 do the same thing?
  (My man pages suggest so, but I don't trust Apple's documentation to
be current.)

Brian Ripley

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk