[R-SIG-Mac] GCC on Lion and above

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 18:34:56 CEST 2012

On Monday, April 2, 2012 8:30:46 AM UTC-7, Timothy Bates wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> HPC seem to be maintaining the gcc toolchain up to date (they have GCC 4.7
> compiled with autovectoring using OpenMP…)
>
> http://hpc.sourceforge.net
>
> BUT the page  http://r.research.att.com/tools/  says "do not use
> compilers from HPC, they won't work correctly!” Is that the case?
>
> Also, I wondered if http://www.macports.org might be the way to go to get
> a version of gcc with a non-crashing OpenMP library?
>
> best wishes and thanks for your help
>
> tim
>
> PS: The att.com page talks about install disks for OS X, but I think it’s
> all via the app store now, including X Code.

As far as I am aware, the problem with HPC binaries or MacPorts builds is
that they cannot compile universal binaries. In order to do this, you need
to build GFortran from Apple's patched sources for GCC 4.2.x or use Simon's
binaries from r.research.att.com.

If you don't care about a multi-architecture version of R, then the HPC and
MacPorts builds will probably work just fine---you may need to set R_ARCHS
or build a single-architecture version yourself so that R does not try to
build universal binaries when compiling packages from source.

-Charlie