[R-SIG-Mac] lme4 in Lion?

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 27 09:15:51 CEST 2011

On 26-09-2011, at 22:37, Katherine Hayden wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Thanks very much for your help!
>>
>> How did you install it? Try
>> install.packages("lme4")
>> that works for me on Lion without problems. If you have some particular problem with it, please let us know.
>
> I tried that and got yet another error. But something finally clicked:
> I was using gfortran 4.2.4, which installs in /usr/bin. Of course R
> was looking for it in /usr/local/bin. I installed 4.2.3 in the default
> location, and everything's working beautifully.

I don't understand this at all. Yet another error? What error?

To check I tried to install lme4 from source.

I am using Lion 10.7.1 and  Xcode 4.1. gfortran from gfortran-lion-5666-3.pkg which installs gfortran into /usr/bin. And R 2..13.1 (2011-07-08). Blas library is linked to libRblas.dylib

R downloaded the latest Matrix source, compiled it and did the same for lme4.
No errors.

No errors at all.

Berend