[R-SIG-Mac] package-install problem on Mac OS X lion

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 23 00:54:28 CEST 2011

Dear all,

After upgrading my MacBook Pro to OS X lion, I find that I'm unable to check or install the Rcmdr package, getting the following error:

---------- snip ---------

John-Foxs-MacBook-Pro:workspace jfox$ R CMD INSTALL Rcmdr
* installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library’
* installing *source* package ‘Rcmdr’ ...
** libs
*** arch - i386
sh: make: command not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘Rcmdr’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/Rcmdr’
* restoring previous ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/Rcmdr’

---------- snip ---------

I am able to install from source other packages that don't have any compiled code, and so I hypothesize that this is due to some C code in the Rcmdr package. The Rcmdr installs fine on my Windows system and is built without error on R-Forge. As well, I was able to install the package from source before the OS upgrade.

I've installed the current development version of R 2.13.2, gfortran 4.2.3 (probably not relevant because there's no fortran code in the package), and Xcode for lion from the Apple app store.

Here are some more details of my system:

---------- snip ---------

> Sys.info()
                                                                                           sysname
                                                                                          "Darwin"
                                                                                           release
                                                                                          "11.1.0"
                                                                                           version
"Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:07:11 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.22.81~1/RELEASE_X86_64"
                                                                                          nodename
                                                                     "John-Foxs-MacBook-Pro.local"
                                                                                           machine
                                                                                          "x86_64"
                                                                                             login
                                                                                            "jfox"
                                                                                              user
                                                                                            "jfox"

> R.Version()
$platform
[1] "x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0"

$arch
[1] "x86_64"

$os
[1] "darwin9.8.0"

$system
[1] "x86_64, darwin9.8.0"

$status
[1] "beta"

$major
[1] "2"

$minor
[1] "13.2"

$year
[1] "2011"

$month
[1] "09"

$day
[1] "19"

$`svn rev`
[1] "57033"

$language
[1] "R"

$version.string
[1] "R version 2.13.2 beta (2011-09-19 r57033)"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
 John

John Fox
Sen. William McMaster Prof. of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/