[R-SIG-Mac] Minor bug in Quartz sizing

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:03:40 CEST 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> With a current R-patched (2.13.1 Patched (2011-09-02 r56906)), the following
> code generates plots missing the bottom labels:
>
> par(mfrow = c(4, 5), mar = c(2.1, 2.1, 4.1, 1.1))
> for (i in 1:20) plot(1)
>
> If I resize the plot at all, it's redrawn correctly, with all margins
> showing.  After resizing, repetitions in the old window are fine, but if I
> close it and try again, the error re-surfaces.
>
> I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I have often seen the issue missing bottom labels on the default
window on my old 13in macbook.  I have always assumed (and I could be
wrong) that this had something to do with the actual dimensions of the
screen.  Recently I switched to a 15in macbook pro and I have never
had this problem (and I never observed it when I connected my 13in to
an external display).  I have various incoherent theories about why
this happens, but I will just state my observation: this only happens
on the native screen of a smaller laptop.

Kasper