[R-SIG-Mac] Font Families and Cairo

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 06:05:47 CEST 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Fong Chun Chan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been searching around the web and I found this thread which discusses
> exactly the same problem that I am facing when using Cairo on my Mac.  When

Oh you are using a Mac!  You failed to say that in
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2011-October/293119.html
(and you are still not giving the 'at a minimum' information required
in the posting guide).

> I use the following code:
>
> library(Cairo)
> Cairo(file='cairo_created', type='pdf', dpi=100)
> plot(1:10)
> dev.off()
>
> This produces a pdf with the text italicized.  The same code but using pdf()
> as the graphics device:
>
> pdf(file='pdf_created.pdf')
> plot(1:10)
> dev.off()
>
> Creates a text without italics.  According to Simon, a work around could be
> achieved by doing the following:
>
> CairoFonts("Arial:style
> =Regular","Arial:style=Bold","Arial:style=Italic","Helvetica","Symbol")
>
> But from my understanding this just replaces the Helvetica font with the
> Arial font.  Is there a solution that works if I still want to use
> Helvetica?

Well, you already told us one: use pdf().

You could also use R's built-in cairo_pdf() device (which has some bug
fixes not in the Cairo package).

> Thanks,
>
> Fong
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]