[R-SIG-Mac] RGtk, rattle, and GTK+ on Snow Leopard and Lion

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 19:59:21 CEST 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Robert Chatfield wrote:
>
>> Do I understand the implications of previous messages about
>> rattle correctlly?
>>
>> => Do I also need to use homebrew and to a full R install as is
>> implied for Lion?
>>

> Just to clarify some misinformation in that thread so far:
>
> The issue has nothing to do with the OS X version, you can happily
> use RGtk2 and other GTK-based packages with the CRAN setup,
> regardless is you're on Lion, SL, or Leopard. The problem is that
> recent rattle requires higher GTK version that what's available, so
> you're on your own.

My understanding is that the higher GTK+ requirement problem has been
fixed in the current version of rattle with a modification to
rattle.ui that now specifies greater than GTK+2.16. This requirement
is satisfied by the binary package installer for GTK+2.18 being
distributed at   :

http://r.research.att.com/

My thanks again to you, Simon, for creating that 2.18 version of GTK+.
It has solved several problems for me.

> Also note that Erich's description was about *native* GTK which is
> somewhat experimental (use at your own risk!), it is not about the
> X11 GTK we use in R distribution.
>
> The reference to Homebrew was quite irrelevant for the reasons you
> noted.
>
> We may consider updating the GTK binary for R 2.14.0, but it's
> certainly not high on the priority list.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

>> Bob  C
>>
>> This is what I've read
>> R-SIG-Mac Digest, Vol 89, Issue 7   1.  Error messages when
>> starting Rattle (Richard R. Liu)
>>> (R:1683): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to find default local directory
>>> monitor type

This doesn't appear to be the same problem as was being described
originally. That was an error and a failure to even start the rattle
package.  This problem could plausibly be explained by Simon's "tiny,
technical side-comment". I have not experienced it when the new
patched version of rattle is started from the Mac RGUI, however.

--
David