[R-SIG-Mac] Valgrind on Snow Leopard or Lion

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Nov 27 23:32:43 CET 2011

Ruth,

On Nov 27, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Ruth Ripley wrote:

> I have been tying to get valgrind to run on Snow Leopard and Lion without much success.

Make sure you get the latest SVN build. Valgrind releases notoriously don't work on Darwin. I had no problem using valgrind (from SVN) on both Lion an Snow Leopard (I would never use pipes to feed the code, but I tested your case and it worked).

A few usage hints: for more reliable debugging it is helpful to compile R with --with-valgrind-instrumentation=2 and typically it's a good idea to use --dsymutil=yes --read-var-info=yes --track-origins=yes on valgrind (--tool=memcheck is the default).