[R-SIG-Mac] Updating packages after updating R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 25 10:29:26 CET 2011

On 24/11/2011 16:17, christiaan pauw wrote:
> Hi Everybody
>
> I have updated to R 2.14 today from version 2.11 by installing the binary
> from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/.

As the posting guide points out, there are no such versions of R.  Have
you read it?

> Is there an easy way to make use of the packages installed in an earlier
> version of R now that I have updated. Re-installing the packages will use
> up most of my bandwidth for the minth. I have thought of copying the
> contents of ..Versions/2.11/Resources/library to the coresponding 2.14
> directory but I am uncertian if this may not perhaps break something.

In most cases it will not work.  Packages with compiled code are tied
(on Mac OS X) to a specific 2.x.* set of R versions.  Packages without
may work, but many have been updated several times since 2.11.x, and
needed to be to work with 2.14.0.

> Can anyone offer me advice?

Go to an Internet cafe and download them there.  All the CRAN packages
are less than 2GB.

> regards
> Christiaan
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]