[R-SIG-Mac] manually load package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Nov 22 00:35:55 CET 2011

On Nov 21, 2011, at 4:09 PM, Lara R. Appleby 04 wrote:

> I am using the "contrast" package (available from CRAN) which in
> turn depends on the "Design" package (no longer in CRAN).

I see that you are right. It does show up in the binary packages when
I use the GUI installer but I suspect that is because I had it before.
From:
Documentation for package ‘contrast’ version 0.14
DESCRIPTION file.
Depends: R (>= 2.2.1), Design
Suggests: lattice, nlme, Hmisc, geepack, MASS, sandwich Description:
Contrast methods, in the style of the Design package, for fit objects
produced by the lm, glm, gls, and geese functions.
> I downloaded the Design package from a web archive. How do I load
> this into R?

I was surprised to see that my older installed version of Design for R
2.13.1 seemed to survive the update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE) process
I subjected my library to. And loading 'package:contrast' does load
Design. (Which I then needed to detach since I use 'rms' and Design
unsurprisingly masked most of that package)

If you had a prior copy of Design, you might first  try to copy it
directly into your 2.14 library folder and then run
update.packages("Design", checkBuilt=TRUE)

If that is not an option, the Archive link at the bottom of the
contributed packages page should have the most recent version ....
from 2009.

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/Design/Design_2.3-0.tar.gz

  You will need to use an Xcode-equipped version of MacOS to compile
that source package, since it does have binaries.

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT