[R-SIG-Mac] Error while loading packages R 2.14.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Nov 15 15:26:31 CET 2011

On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:29 AM, Hervé Pagès wrote:

> On 11-11-12 11:30 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011, Riccardo Romoli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I have already installed R 2.14.0 and I have some problem to load
>>> several packages, in particular xcms package. I installed it directly
>>> from the GUI and when I try to load it the R I have:

>>> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared object
>>> '/Users/riccardoromoli/Library/R/2.14/library/xcms/libs/x86_64/xcms.so':
>>> dlopen(/Users/riccardoromoli/Library/R/2.14/library/xcms/libs/x86_64/xcms.so,
>>> 6): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.7.dylib
>>> Referenced from:
>>> /Users/riccardoromoli/Library/R/2.14/library/xcms/libs/x86_64/xcms.so
>>> Reason: image not found
>>> Inoltre: Warning message:
>>> In library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc
>>> = lib.loc) :
>>> there is no package called ‘digest’
>>> Errore: package/namespace load failed for ‘xcms’
>>>>

>>> I think the error is the absence of ibnetcdf.7.dylib. Do you have any
>>> idea how can I correct this error??
>>
>> 1) Ask BioC to build the package correctly, or
>> 2) Build from the sources yourself, preferably using a static netcdf
>> library.
>>
>> People should not be distributing Mac binary packages with hardcoded
>> paths to dependencies not in the R framework: CRAN does not.
>
> Not true. rggobi, Cairo and other Mac binaries on CRAN have hardcoded paths to a bunch of stuff that is not in the R framework.

The above statement is false.

All binaries that involve just libraries (like Cairo) are linked statically and have no dependencies (see otool -L).

There are very few exceptions where it doesn't involve a library but an entire system: gtk, ggobi and tcltk. For those there is no other option since just linking them statically is not sufficient as they rely on other external files. For those we provide the binaries for download along with the package.

The problem in BioC is that not only it uses unnecessary dependent libraries (it didn't use to when you were running it ;)), it doesn't even provide the needed dependencies for download with the package. That makes the repository useless for the user since the packages simply don't work.