[R-SIG-Mac] Where are my packages?

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu May 19 21:11:08 CEST 2011

On 19-05-2011, at 20:48, Wayne Gray wrote:

> I just upgraded to 2.13 from 2.12.
>
> As far as I can figure things are working well except that none of the packages I downloaded for 2.12 are available to 2.13. That would not be an issue as it is easy to download packages as needed. I can do this and they work.

So you have downloaded what you need?
How did you install?
With the GUI?

> What is the issue is that I don't know where they are being stored. The ones for 2.12 are here:
>
> /Users/wgray/Library/R/2.12/library
>
> 2.13 created a similar directory but there is nothing in it.

On system level in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/<package>

> In the Preferences for 2.13 I do have the box checked to make  ~/Library/R... the default path (as per the screen shot attached to this email but probably stripped out by the listserv software). And, yes, I have restarted my machine several times since this was checked (I think I set this two days ago).
>
> So stuff is somewheres as the package install when I load them. I would like to know (a) where they are, (b) how I can get them to go into the ~/Library/R... directory, and (c) whether it is prudent and reasonable to move everything that is in the 2.12 library into the 2.13 library.

See section 5.2 of the R For Mac OS X FAQ. It explains it all.

You seem to be running the R GUI.
From the menu select Packages & Data, Package Installer.
Choose CRAN (binaries) for Packages repository (assuming you want binaries).
In the search box (on the righthand side of the panel) click on the little triangle.
Click on Select packages from R2.12. <=====  that's the magic
(You may also have to click on Get List).
Click on Update All.

I hope that I got this right (it's what I did when updating from 2.12 to 2.13)

Berend