[R-SIG-Mac] multiple console windows for the same Mac R instance

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 11 03:45:04 CEST 2011

Frank,

On May 10, 2011, at 7:06 PM, Frank Tamborello wrote:

> Is there a way that I can have multiple console windows running for the same instance of R.app/R64.app? I've sometimes found in other IDEs that it can be handy to have this feature, such as Macintosh Common Lisp's ability to have multiple listener windows going for the same instance of MCL.

Currently, no. I have a separate project (RemoteR) in progress that allows remote connection to an R instance with multiplexing support, but it's not ready for prime time yet (it can do console but I still need to extend the Quartz support).

That said, it is fairly easy to chain messages from the console, so it would be easy to write a plug-in infrastructure that would allow you to register additional windows, IPC or whatever you want. Let me know if you're interested - it would be only a few lines of code on our side and you could add listeners, for example, using the Cocoa package ( http://rforge.net/Cocoa/ ).