[R-SIG-Mac] Finding problem with nleqslv on PowerPC

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 28 21:52:11 CEST 2011

I am the author of the nleqslv package for solving systems of non linear equations.
The main code is written in Fortran.
At the beginning of March, I released a new version with a few minor corrections in the R code.
Nothing in the C or Fortran code was changed.

The package passed all the CRAN checks/tests on Linux, Windows and Solaris systems and Mac OS X Intel platforms.
However, on the Mac OS X PowerPc platform one of the examples gave a bus error.
With previous versions of the package this did not happen.
Moreover, the relevant Fortran code had not changed.
So I simply do not understand what is going on.
I run Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 which is Intel only, so I have no means of trying to find out what may be the cause.

I would like to ask anyone with a Mac running Mac OS Leopard PowerPc to run the example below to see what happens.
And maybe the cause of the bus error can be found.

I have attached the R script and the output of running
Rscript -e ppcissue_mailexample.R > ppcissue_mailexample.rout.txt

best regards

Berend Hasselman