[R-SIG-Mac] Here's what Steve said

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 20 21:18:12 CET 2011

On 20-03-2011, at 20:49, Tracy Lightcap wrote:

> Simon:
>
> I sent part of your post to Steve Jobs and he wrote back (!). Here's
> what he said. Is he still dancing around the issue about gfortran?

I would say yes.
Can Apple guarantee that Intel Fortran and Apple's C compiler coexist and cooperate flawlessly?
Anyone using R on the Mac and wishing to compile R and/or develop packages with some Fortran would have to get the Intel Fortran compiler according to Job's recommendation. If I'm correct, Intel's compiler are not cheap. Most of us wouldn't want to spend that kind of money.

If and when a transition is necessary, then we'll just have to hope that Simon finds a way of making gfortran usable in the new setup.

As long as we can use Xcode 3, there shouldn't be a problem.

To be honest, I don't think Apple really cares about things such as R.
The ultimate alternative would be to ditch Mac OS X and change to something else.

Apologies for the rant but I really do feel that Apple is behaving stupidly and shortsightedly in this case.

Berend