[R-SIG-Mac] GCC v. LLVM

Ken Knoblauch ken.knoblauch at inserm.fr
Fri Mar 18 18:22:55 CET 2011

Anirban Mukherjee <anirban.mukherjee <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Folks,
>
> I was wondering what the forward plans are for R on Mac vis-a-vis
> apple-gcc/Clang. Xcode 4 was just released with LLVM 2.x. From what I
> can tell, Apple will in the future only support Clang/LLVM. For now, I
> believe they are still including the same gcc as with 3.2. But longer
> term, the move seems to be to Clang/LLVM.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/whats-new.html
> http://clang.llvm.org/
>
> Does R build with Clang/LLVM? I know Clang is being developed with a
> view to ensure GCC "compatibility".
>
> Best,
> Anirban

Just saw the following post on Mac OS X hints entitled:

Restoring PPC, SDK 10.4/10.5 and GCC 4.0 Support to Xcode4

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110318050811544

According to the author, this already appeared on Stack Overflow so
perhaps many have already seen it.

Is it a method to be recommended?

--
Ken Knoblauch