[R-SIG-Mac] problems with getting R to share library with rpy/rpy2

Daniel Weitzenfeld dweitzenfeld at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 12:05:17 CEST 2011

I'm a unix newbie having some issues getting either rpy or rpy2 to install.

1) Problem 1:  Getting R to share it's library

When I try to install rpy2, I get this error:

running build_ext
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/config: line 142: make:
command not found
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/config: line 143: make:
command not found
R was not built as a library

Also, in the rpy read me (http://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy/README), it
says "First of all, you *must* check that you have built R with the
configure
    option '--enable-R-shlib'"

BUT: in the R for Mac OS X FAQ
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html), it says "Note
that the CRAN binary includes R shared library, so there is no need to
re-compile R with --enable-R-shlib."  I installed R (2.13.0) from the
Installer package, as the FAQ recommended.

Why isn't R sharing it's library?  How do I get R to share it's
library?  Do I have to install from source - is the FAQ wrong?

2) Problem 2:  Configuring path to R Library

In the pry read me, it says:

Linux and Unix Source Installation:
.
.
.

"(b) Then, configure the path to the R library.  You have several ways to do
    this (substitute RHOME with the path where R is installed, usually
    /usr/local/lib/R):

         make a link to RHOME/bin/libR.so in /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib, then
          run 'ldconfig',

         or, put the following line in your .bashrc (or equivalent):

            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:RHOME/bin

         or, edit the file /etc/ld.so.conf and add the following line:

            RHOME/bin

          and then, run 'ldconfig'.
"

As a unix newbie, this is greek to me.  Which of the three options is
easiest, and can I get a little more guidance on how to execute it?
I've identified RHOME to be /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources.