[R-SIG-Mac] R.app GUI crashes on startup -- moved Rhistory, no Rdata, no crash menu

Michael Gilbert mcg at gilbert.org
Fri Jun 17 02:40:30 CEST 2011

Hi —

As my first post on this list, I'll try to be complete but succinct.

This is the symptom described in the R for Max OSX FAQ 12.16: "R.app GUI crashes on startup" This started for me on Version 2.13, running on Mac OS 10.6.7. (I had been away from R for a few months, so I can't ID a single trigger.) I followed the instructions in FAQ 12.16. Moved the history file. There was no Rdata workspace to move (not that I could find). No problem running R on the command line at all. I upgraded to 2.14, to see if it would persist. Same thing, suggesting an environment issue. But I don't know what it is about my environment I should troubleshoot. I cannot get a crash log using the instructions in 12.16, because no crash menu appears. All I get is this in the system log:

Jun 16 12:24:48 mcgLaptop-5 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[285] ([0x0-0x1c71c7].org.R-project.R[19629]): Exited with exit code: 2

I apologize if this report is in some way incomplete. Any advice on how to proceed?

TIA!

— Michael Gilbert

Nonprofit News
http://nonprofitnews.org