[R-SIG-Mac] Spinning wheel when running script

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jul 28 15:01:44 CEST 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:

> Hello,
> I am new to Mac OS having moved off Windows PCs, and I am struggling to figure out how to use R project on the Mac. Often when I enter script into the console, R goes off into a never ending „Not responding‰ state ˆ the spinning wheel symbol shows.
> My usual pattern is that I develop R script in the editor, and then copy the lines I want to run, and paste them into the R Console window. On Mac it sometimes works and other times leads to the spinning wheel. I also have tried using the CMD-Return combination to run the lines with the same results.

Spinning wheel means that R has entered C code that is not interruptible. It's no different from the Windows version except that Windows GUI doesn't even have the indicator.

If you are running a script (interpreted code), you can interrupt it with <Esc> or the Stop button and there is no spinning wheel.