[R-SIG-Mac] View large quartz windows using R GUI

Annabel Smith annabel.smith at anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 26 06:42:36 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8, R 2.13.1, R.app GUI 1.41

I have searched for help on this and found only midly related topics
(http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/10/13563.html ,
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/10/13561.html ,
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e4/devel/08/05/1528.html). One thread
deals with a similar question
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.mac/4086/focus=4103), but
doesn't quite solve my problem.

I would like to make a layout with several plots on a page that is
approximately A4 sized. If I draw all of the plots and save them without
resizing the window it comes out at the right size. But I need to be
able to see the layout on the page as it will appear on the PDF so that
I can work on getting it how I want it. There is no way to scroll down
and see the bottom of the window, and I don't know of a way I can change
the view of the quartz window without changing the actual size of the
image. Any size greater than the default seven inches is not visible on
the screen without resizing the window and distorting the proportion and
changing the size.

quartz(title="Fig.1",width=8.27,height=11.69)
par(mfrow=c(3,2))
plot(1,2)
plot(2,3)
plot(3,4)
plot(4,5)
plot(5,6)
plot(6,7)

The obvious solution is to make the quartz window proportionally smaller
and then resize it later. The other solution is to make all the plots
separately first and then put them on the one page, but I want to see
the whole page so I can customise the margins etc. Is there a way to
change the view of the quartz window without changing its size?

Thanks,
Annabel.

--
Annabel Smith
PhD student

Fenner School of Environment and Society
Forestry Building 48
The Australian National University
Canberra  ACT  0200

annabel.smith at anu.edu.au