[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling Source packages in Mac OS 10.5.8

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:45:10 CEST 2011

On 11-07-18 11:02 AM, Oscar A. Moreno wrote:
> Dear R-SIG-Macers,
>
> I am a very newbie for compilation of packages.  I usually rely on
> binaries in CRAN.  I need to compile a package under Mac OS 10.5.8.
> My questions are: a) Where do I put the .tar.gz file to compile and b)
> What are the exact command line instructions from the R.app GUI? I
> have RTM and I am lost as to what to do.

Put the .tar.gz file anywhere where R can see it and read it.  For
example, after starting R.app if you run getwd() you'll probably see
something like

/Users/<yourname>

Putting the tar.gz in that directory is simplest.  Then

install.packages("<path to the .tar.gz>", type="source", repos=NULL)

will attempt to install it.

If it's a simple package, that should just work; if it has compiled C or
Fortran code, you may need to install some compilers to get it to work.
  See the links from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/ for how to
get those for your particular version of OS X.

Duncan Murdoch