[R-SIG-Mac] plot() does not give labels under quartz

Tena Sakai tsakai at gallo.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 20 08:26:47 CET 2011

Hi,

I googled "os x corrupt font cache" and came up with a few hits.
The top hit was:
   http://www.macworld.com/article/139383/2009/03/fontcacheclear.html
and it suggested issuing three lines below from unix prompt:
   atsutil databases -removeUser
   atsutil server -shutdown
   atsutil server -ping
Unfortunately, it didn't cure the problem.  The above link states:
"Prior to OS X 10.5, all font caches ..."  The date of article is
Mar 13, 2009.  As I stated before, mine is 10.6.6.

Another hit was:
   http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071026081555971
it specifically says, "10.5 Only."  It is different from
the previous one, but slightly messy:
   sudo rm -rf `lsof | grep com.apple.ATS/annex.aux \
     | grep Finder | cut -c 66-139`

I didn't try this one because with different rev constants like
66-139 scare me.  Plus I am happy with X11() and/or adding
Family="sans" in the plot(foo ~ moo). Either is good enough
fix/work-around for me.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Tena Sakai