[R-SIG-Mac] nlme (or base) problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 11:36:04 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Adelchi Azzalini wrote:

> library(nlme) does not load,
> this is what I get:
>
> R> library(nlme)
> Error in .Call("R_lazyLoadDBfetch", key, file, compressed, hook, PACKAGE =
> "base") :
> C symbol name "R_lazyLoadDBfetch" not in DLL for package "base"
>
> However the probleme could be in the base package.

That is part of R itself (the 'DLL for package "base"' is libR.dylib).
It is strange it gets that far, as the same code is used to load other
packages (e.g. 'stats'), so maybe the loader in nlme is corrupt.

In any case, it seems you have a corrupt R installation.  I would try
reinstalling, but beware that this might indicate that the wrong
libR.dylib is being found and so you may need unpick any remains of
earlier installations.

Brian