[R-SIG-Mac] Why there are two R.app & R64.app?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Dec 15 17:43:05 CET 2011

Adam,

On Dec 15, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Adam Strzelecki wrote:

>> If you are not happy with the R/R64 situation, write your own GUI and use it. There are other R GUIs for OSX already ("R commander"?, something like that). I'd much rather be able to change the default font permanently in the R.app that get bothered by the 32/64-bit issue.
>
> The reason I started this thread was not to express my unhappiness, but simply asking why there are two R apps installed by the package. So that was just a curiosity. Since I do use "rgl" a lot, which falls back to X11 on 64-bit rather than native UI, I figured out (wrong) that this may be the reason. I work with pretty heavy data, have 12GB RAM, so going 64-bit was natural choice for me, but going trough X11 for OpenGL is not what I'd expect. That's why I am going to make Cocoa wrapper for rgl that should handle that.
>
> There is nowhere any complaint stashed in what I wrote about how R works or how it looks like (the icon is IMHO nice), I was just asking for the REASON and PURPOSE having two apps. It is just Simon's arguments do not convince me,

You asked about reasons, you got them. They are not intended to convince you. I even told you how you can make yourself happy - but note that it is about *you*, not anyone else. You have the right to disagree, but you don't have the right to impose your view on everyone else (unfortunately a more common trait in recent times) - which is what the exchange looked more like. (More off-list.)