[R-SIG-Mac] R tcl/tk package running Mac OS X not working

ggrothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:26:45 CET 2011

On Dec 7, 7:53 pm, Samuel Davidson <rmacl... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have R 2.14 installed on a Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) Patched (2011-12-06
> r57839)
>
> I noticed that when I try to use the sqldf package, R hangs. I tried the
> fix as suggested by the sqldf help, which is to execute:
>
> options(gsubfn.engine = "R")
>
> prior to loading the sqldf package. This does not work. I installed the
> tcltk-8.5.5-x11.dmg package but still no change.
>
> So R hangs whenever sqldf("select * from iris") or library(tcltk) is
> executed.

(1) library(tcltk) should not hang.   There is at the very least
something wrong with your installation of tcltk and possibly even with
your installation of R itself.  Since  you don't actually need tcltk
to use sqldf you might want to remove tcltk just to be sure and then
restart R. (2) Ensure you have the latest sqldf.  (3) run with
verbose=TRUE which gives extra info that may be useful in figuring out
what is wrong:  sqldf("select * from BOD", verbose = TRUE), (3) check
the troubleshooting section at http://sqldf.googlecode.com, (4) make
sure you don't have any unwanted database drivers loaded:  search()