[R-SIG-Mac] arules installation

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 01:58:37 CET 2011

On Dec 7, 2011, at 4:35 PM, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:

> Theoretically, but I've always built packages from Terminal so I can't
> promise it. Also, there's an outside chance you'll need a Fortran
> compiler too, but I haven't looked at the source files to confirm.
>
> I'd also suggest you try your CRAN mirror one more time and make sure
> you are getting the 2.13 version: for instance, I used this link:
>
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.13/arules_1.0-7.tgz'
>
> I believe that the link shown on the CRAN page will automatically give
> you the current release (2.14) build.
>
> Michael
>
> 2011/12/7 Thomas Chesney <Thomas.Chesney at nottingham.ac.uk>:
>> Michael - thanks for the reply. So if I install my XCode C complier,

You would want all of the Xcode to be installed including the Fortran
complier and other support.

>> then download the latest arules source file which is:
>> arules_1.0-7.tar.gz and then run: install.packages("/Users/thomas/
>> Documents/arules_1.0-7.tar.gz", repos=NULL, type="source") it will
>> just work? (Why will that work with the latest version but the
>> latest .tgz won't?)

It should succeed that way if Xocde is properly installed. Why didn't
you try that?

AND: Why are you staying with 2.13? Why not update your R version?

>> What I usually do to install a package is download the .tgz file,
>> double click to unzip it, then copy the resulting folder into
>> Library/Frameworks/R.Framework/Resources/Library.

That is only going to work for  packages that are all-R and no C/Fortran

>> I could install the latest R and then do that for arules, but then
>> I'd have to do the same for dozens of other packages (or could I
>> just copy them to another folder, update R, and then copy them to
>> R.Framework/Resources/Library saying no to any replace file popups?)

The usual recommendation is after updating R , which creates a new
Resources folder with ./library/, to copy/paste the contents of the
2.13 ../library/ into the new one and then at the R console to execute:

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE) # and probably also include the
ask=FALSE option

I usually forget that ask option and then have to keep typing Y<cr>.

Best;
David.