[R-SIG-Mac] accented vowels

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Tue Aug 16 12:16:21 CEST 2011

Le 2011-08-15 à 22:24, Duncan Murdoch a écrit :

> On 11-08-15 7:48 PM, Denis Chabot wrote:

>>> Possibly your system really is using MacRoman or some other local encoding; in that case, iconv(x, "", "UTF-8") should convert from the local encoding to UTF-8.
>>>
>>> I think declaring everything to be UTF8 may be sufficient.  When I use list.files(), I see the encoding listed as "unknown", but
>>>
>>> x<- list.files()
>>> Encoding(x)<- "UTF-8"
>>>
>>> works.  However, the iconv() method should be safer.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> Hi Duncan,
>>
>> iconv() confirmed what I suspected: there was no problem with the encoding of the result of list.files, and if there had been one, the "è" would not have looked like a "è". Therefore, I got nonsense when treating this "è" as MacRoman to be converted into UTF-8:
>>
>> iconv(b, from="MacRoman", to="UTF-8")
>> [1] "1_MO2 crevettes po2crit.Rda" "1_MO2 soles SeÃÄte sda.Rda"  "1_MO2 turbots po2crit.Rda"
>>
>> It is not clear however that R considered b to be UTF=8:
>> Encoding(b)
>> [1] "unknown" "unknown" "unknown"
>>
>> so I followed your suggestion:
>>
>> Encoding(b)<- "UTF-8"
>> Encoding(b)
>> [1] "unknown" "UTF-8"   "unknown"
>>
>> but gsub still did not work:
>> b2 = gsub(" Sète", "S",  b); b2
>> [1] "1_MO2 crevettes po2crit.Rda" "1_MO2 soles Sète sda.Rda"     "1_MO2 turbots po2crit.Rda"
>>
>> I do not know why gsub worked with example "a" but not "b" in the example shown in my original message. Strange and frustrating.
>
> Unicode sometimes gives different ways to encode what is rendered as the same character (e.g. letter + accent versus accented letter).  I think (see below) the OS uses one convention, but R chooses the other when it parses your text.
>
> Cut and paste did just work for me, in a version of R 2.13.0 Patched which predates 2.13.1 by a few weeks; I'm not up to date on my Mac:
>

> > x <- list.files()
> [1] "1_MO2 soles Sète sda.Rda"
> > gsub("Sète", "XXXX", x)
> [1] "1_MO2 soles XXXX sda.Rda"
>

> In the second line, I didn't try to type the pattern containing Sète, I just cut and pasted it from the printed version of x.
>
> One other possibility (and perhaps it's the best one, if your substitutions are all so simple) is to use the useBytes=TRUE option to gsub.  You can use charToRaw to see the bytes in a string, to make sure they are what you expect.
>
> When I do that, I see that the è really is handled differently in the two cases:
>
> > charToRaw("Sète") # cut and paste from list.files() output
> [1] 53 65 cc 80 74 65
> > charToRaw("Sète") # entered on the keyboard
> [1] 53 c3 a8 74 65

> [...]

Hi again Duncan,

the "Errors due to normalization differences" part of the article you referred to seems to confirm your suspicion.

I can get this to work but it is messy:

Sètefileraw = charToRaw(substr(b[2],13,17))
Sètefile = rawToChar(Sètefileraw)

Sètekbraw = charToRaw(substr(a[2],13,16))
Sètekb = rawToChar(Sètekbraw)

c = b
c = gsub(Sètefile, Sètekb, c)
at this point, Sète has become the "keyboard" version and the rest of the script can work
c2 = gsub(" Sète", "S", c); c2
[1] "1_MO2 crevettes po2crit.Rda" "1_MO2 solesS sda.Rda"        "1_MO2 turbots po2crit.Rda"

I'll keep accented vowels out of file names for this project whenever I'll have to use gsub on them!

Thanks again,

Denis