[R-SIG-Mac] Unicode characters in script?

Michael Hoban mhoban at ucsc.edu
Fri Aug 12 08:36:31 CEST 2011

In my first posting, I didn't know there were two different graphics
output mechanisms at work. In my second, I had found that out. The
same code in two places uses different back-ends, and produces
different output results, and it was by no means immediately apparent
that that's the case. I meant no slight against Rscript itself or by
extension its author. In all of the documentation I read, there was
nothing that explicitly said that the figures produced by R.app were
fundamentally different from those generated from the command line
(especially as the default format for saving from R.app figures is
pdf). Also, if I generate the figure from within R.app and save it as
a PDF, it "just works," further leading me to assume it should "just
work" from the command line. Sorry for the confusion.