[R-SIG-Mac] Unicode characters in script?

Michael Hoban mhoban at ucsc.edu
Thu Aug 11 20:35:37 CEST 2011

Hi all-

I tried searching before posting, but this is one of those tricky
questions to search for. My issue is this: within the R.app gui, I can
use extended characters in plot labels without any issue (specifically
in my case the ∂, lowercase delta), for example:

> plot(c(1:10) ~ c(1:10), main="∂foobie bletchƒ")

However, when I try to do the same in a script from the terminal
(interpreted by Rscript), I get a bunch of errors related to character
encoding:
  conversion failure on '∂foobie bletchƒ' in 'mbcsToSbcs': dot
substituted for <e2>

Is there a way to make this work? Or is Rscript not equipped to handle
multibyte characters?

thanks in advance,

_mykle