[R-SIG-Mac] problem checking packages with R 2.13.0

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Apr 17 01:20:33 CEST 2011

Dear list members,

I'm experiencing a problem checking packages with R 2.13.0 on a new Mac OS X 10.6.7 system. As far as I can tell, R isn't finding my LaTeX installation. Packages seem to build fine. Some details follow:

Here's what happens when I try to check a package:

----- snip ------

John-Foxs-MacBook-Pro:workspace jfox$ R CMD check car
* using log directory ‘/Users/jfox/Documents/workspace/car.Rcheck’
* using R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
* using platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0 (64-bit)
* using session charset: UTF-8
* checking for file ‘car/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
* this is package ‘car’ version ‘2.0-10’
. . .
* checking examples ... OK
* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
LaTeX errors found:
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file 8r.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
* checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR

----- snip ------

I get the following error when I try to check the package under eclipse/StatET (deleting the lines before the error):

----- snip ------

* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
* checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR
Re-running with no redirection of stdout/stderr.
Hmm ... looks like a package
You may want to clean up by 'rm -rf /var/folders/ay/ayD+f6yQFomFC5SGQV6vP++++TI/-Tmp-//RtmpopONVs/Rd2pdf16f793c'
Error in texi2dvi("Rd2.tex", pdf = (out_ext == "pdf"), quiet = FALSE,  :
  pdflatex is not available
Error in running tools::texi2dvi

But I have no problem running pdflatex from a terminal window: