[R-SIG-Mac] Clear Workspace and .Rprofile

Ben Haller rsigmac at sticksoftware.com
Sun Sep 26 14:17:36 CEST 2010

  Hi all.  I recently made myself a .Rprofile file, and I have just discovered two oddities with this in the R GUI.  On the one hand, when I do "Clear Workspace" (from the Workspace menu) it doesn't clear out the .First function that my .Rprofile defined, which is surprising.  On the other hand, it also doesn't re-run my .Rprofile, which I would have expected, since to me the point of "Clear Workspace" is to give a fresh workspace identical to the one I get when I quit and re-launch the R GUI app.
  I don't know enough about the internals of R to assert that these are bugs; but I can say that it's annoying to me that Clear Workspace gives me a workspace in which my .Rprofile stuff is not defined.  What's the recommended way to deal with this?

Ben Haller
McGill University