[R-SIG-Mac] How to determine if a Mac is Nehalem-based

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Oct 20 23:55:55 CEST 2010

Hi Mac Gurus,

I have been searching the web trying to find out how to determine
if my Mac is "Nehalem-based".  I have not been able to find any discussion
about how to determine this, beyond something such as "Macs built in early 2009"
or similarly vague statements.

Does anyone know where I can find a description of which Intel chips in a Mac
constitute "Nehalem-based" and what R or Mac-OS scripts, commands etc
will yield information on the CPU chip in my Mac so I can make this determination?

>From "About this Mac" I get the following information, but I'm unclear on
what if anything in such output will reliably show whether my Mac is
Nehalem-based.

Hardware Overview:

  Model Name:	Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacPro4,1
  Processor Name:	Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:	2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:	2
  Total Number Of Cores:	8
  L2 Cache (per core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache (per processor):	8 MB
  Memory:	32 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:	6.4 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:	MP41.0081.B08
  SMC Version (system):	1.39f5
  SMC Version (processor tray):	1.39f5
  Serial Number (system):	H00230C320H
  Serial Number (processor tray):	C070183004XDCVHAX
  Hardware UUID:	482F1E2A-2588-5FA3-80AE-11BE11615B02

Any information appreciated

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre