[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.12 & install all dependencies

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Wed Oct 20 15:48:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

I just installed R 2.12 and it seems to me the way progress is reported when installing packages is different.

I picked a few packages to install and I selected "install dependencies". R's spinning wheel spinned endlessly, with no text appearing in the console to indicate progress. I was used to see progress as each package got loaded on disk and then installed, but nothing. After a minute, I force-quit R and relaunched it. Selecting a single package without the option "install dependencies" worked as usual. In this case, it was doBy, and within seconds the process was complete.

I then selected doBy again in the package installer, but this time I selected "install dependencies". Spinning wheel, no progress in the console. I must have waited 2-3 minutes and suddenly the console quickly listed all the work that had been accomplished (it seems many packages needed to be installed, as this was a brand new R 2.12 install). It seems to me that in the past (including R 2.11), the console kept us up to date with what was happening. If this is not just my imagination, the old behavior was preferable.

Denis