[R-SIG-Mac] Java on Mac OS X 10.6.5 (Snow Leopard)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Nov 30 16:01:26 CET 2010

Apparently the latest update to Snow Leopard (10.6.5) removes necessary header files from the system Java installation. They are now only available in the corresponding Xcode SDKs. What does that mean?

* If you are using binaries from CRAN, there is nothing to worry about and you can ignore this e-mail.

* If you are compiling packages against the JavaVM from sources (such as rJava), you will need to point the compilers to the new location of the headers.

For example if you want to use the 10.6 SDK you'll have to use:
JAVA_CPPFLAGS=-I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers

You have two options: you can re-run javareconf with JAVA_CPPFLAGS specified, i.e. (the command is all on one line!):
JAVA_CPPFLAGS=-I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers R CMD javareconf

this will configure R with the correct flags. Alternatively, you can set JAVA_CPPFLAGS before installing the packages in question if you don't want to touch the R Java configuration.

Note: the above assumes you installed Xcode in the default location "/Developer" - adjust accordingly if you used a custom location.