[R-SIG-Mac] Error: package 'pcvsuite' was built before R 2.10.0: please re-install it

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 04:53:22 CET 2010

On 10-11-16 10:37 PM, Brant Inman wrote:
> R-helpers,
>
> I have had difficulty installing the "pcvsuite" package on R version
> 2.12.0 (2010-10-15).   The pcvsuite package is not available on CRAN,
> but is located for download at the following website at the
> University of Washington:
>
> Windows version http://labs.fhcrc.org/pepe/dabs/pcvsuite_1.0.zip
>
> Mac version
> http://labs.fhcrc.org/pepe/dabs/pcvsuite_1.0_R_i386-apple-darwin8.11.1.tar.gz
>
> I am using a MacBook Pro and have both Windows 7 and Mac OS X snow
> leopard installed on their respective partitions.  When I install the
> windows pcvsuite zip file on the Windows partition using R 2.12.0 (64
> bit), I get no problems.  However, when I install the mac version of
> pcvsuite on the Mac partition of the same computer and an identical
> version of R (except for Mac), I get the following:
>
> * installing *binary* package ‘pcvsuite’ ...
>
> * DONE (pcvsuite)
>> library(pcvsuite)
> Error: package 'pcvsuite' was built before R 2.10.0: please
> re-install it

  This is because the Mac version was built under 2.9 and the Windows
version was built under 2.10.1.

> Anybody have an idea of how I can use the pcvsuite package running on
> R 2.12.0 for Mac?

  Write to the authors and ask for a source (.tgz) version?

  Run the package on windows, dump the R code to new .R files, and
create your own package which you can then rebuild on the Mac?  If you
haven't built packages before this will take a bit of work (see the R
Extensions manual), but if you really need these functions ...