[R-SIG-Mac] [R] How to interrupt an R process that hangs

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 21:49:59 CET 2010

[Though I'm not using a Mac, OS X is a Unix variant and should
have the commands used below installed]

Did you *literally* do
  kill -s INT <PID>
without substituting the R PID for "<PID"? If so, then here's a tip.
In Mac console, do

  ps aux | grep R

On my Linux machine this currently responds with (amongst some
irrelevant lines):

ted  8625  0.0  3.2  41568 34096 pts/6  S+ Mar13 0:07
  /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R --no-save

showing that the PID of the R process is 8625. Then you can do
whatever corresponds to

  kill -s INT 8625

(replacing "8625" with what you get from ps). However, when I
just tried it, it didn't work for me either. So I changed the
Signal from "INT" to "HUP", and this time it did work. Maybe
try this instead?

Other ways of using 'kill' include
(a) Use the signal number (1 for HUP, 2 for INT) like

  kill -1 8625    or     kill -2 8625

(b) Don't search for the numeric Process ID (PID) but kill it
    by name ('killall' command):

  killall -1 R    or    killall -2 R

However, this will kill every running instance of R (if you
two or more running simultaneously), and you may not want that!

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 15-Mar-10                                       Time: 20:49:57