[R-SIG-Mac] Wrong locale when using R from shell

Erich Studerus erich.studerus at bli.uzh.ch
Mon Mar 22 23:06:25 CET 2010

I typed "export" into the mac terminal to see the setup of my system
variables. Under language I get LANG="de_CH.UTF-8". So it seems my system
variable for language is set up correctly.

It doesn't make sense that Lyx would force C locale, although I don't know
where I can check this. I'm using the regular Lyx/Sweave setup described
here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxWithRThroughSweave

I dont have this locale problem on my Windows 7 computer. I don't
understand, why R can dectect the correct locale when started from the
terminal or as R.app but not from the shell. How do these running modes
differently look up environmental variables?

Regards,
Erich