[R-SIG-Mac] How to interrupt an R process that hangs

Adam D. I. Kramer adik-rhelp at ilovebacon.org
Mon Mar 15 19:42:45 CET 2010

+1--this is the single most-annoying issue with R that I know of.

My usual solution, after accomplishing nothing as R spins idly for a couple
hours, is to kill the process and lose any un-saved work.  save.history() is
my friend, but is a big delay when you work with big data sets as I do, so I
don't run it after every command.

I have cc'd r-help here, however, because I experience this problem with
non-OSX R as well...when I run it in Linux or from the OSX command-line (I
compile R for Darwin without aqua/R-framework), the same thing happens.

Is there some way around this? Is this a known problem?

Google searching suggests no solution, timeline, or anything, but the
problem has been annoying users for at least twelve years:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/9704/0151.html

Cordially,
Adam