[R-SIG-Mac] build of package xlsx fails on Mac (fwd)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 10 15:22:48 CET 2010

Adrian,

On Mar 9, 2010, at 13:50 , Adrian Dragulescu wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I got bounced as a non-member.  Maybe you are in the best position
> to have an opinion on this.

Yes, since OS X 10.5 Apple dropped support for AWT on the main thread,
so essentially you cannot use any graphics classes in R on OS X 10.5
since R is single-threaded. They work in JGR, though.

This is a bit problematic for tests and I don't have a good solution.
I have a hack that you're welcome to use -- when checking packages on
OS X 10.5 we set NOAWT=1 so you could make your graphics tests
conditional on

if (!nzchar(Sys.getenv("NOAWT"))) {

## AWT/Swing tests here

}

It's not pretty but that's all I can offer at the moment .. Ideally
Apple would fix that issue but ...

(CCing to R-SIG-Mac as that seems to have been intended)