[R-SIG-Mac] RODBC

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Mar 6 21:51:13 CET 2010

Ivan,

A quick heads up.

I had a brief offlist exchange with Prof. Ripley, during which he noted two things:

1. His MS Office 2008 installation on OSX does not have an ODBC driver. So it would seem that it is not available from MS, which would make sense with Actual Tech selling one.

2. The Actual Tech driver is read only, meaning that you can read from an Excel file, but not write to one. This is also noted in Section 7 of vignette("RODBC").  After going back to the Actual Tech web site on the page I listed, they do mention this in the text on the page, where it indicates the for Excel, only 'select' statements are supported and for Access, only 'select' and 'join' statements. 'insert' and 'update' queries are not supported.

Thus, the Actual Tech product and indeed, [R]ODBC will in fact, not do any of what you want here.

Marc