[R-SIG-Mac] Font Families and Cairo

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu Mar 4 06:47:28 CET 2010

G'day all,

I am using Cairo to produce output graphics (mainly png), but don't seem to be able to figure out how to stop the text being rendered in italics.

I am using 10.6.2, and R version 2.10.1 Patched (2010-02-01 r51089).

Using this produces the output as I anticipated (with upright text)

png('outputs/reports_by_province2.png')
barplot(outbreaks.summary$Provinces,names.arg=outbreaks.summary$Year, ylab='Number of provinces reporting outbreaks', cex.axis=1, cex.names=1) -> tmp

Using this produces a nicer image (the transparent background is important), but the text is all italicised

Cairo(950,450, 'outputs/reports_by_province.png')
barplot(outbreaks.summary$Provinces,names.arg=outbreaks.summary$Year, ylab='Number of provinces reporting outbreaks', cex.axis=1.2, cex.names=1.2) -> tmp

I can change the family, ie :

> par('family')
[1] "serif"

but Cairo doesn't seem to respect it (I'm actually wanting Helvetica so it doesn't matter), but I can't fix the font (and I note from the docs:
	fonts	see pdf, ignored, Cairo automatically detects and embeds fonts
)

So I'm wondering if it is just my installation, a known issue or I've missed the workaround (using CairoFonts hasn't changed it).

cheers

Beb