[R-SIG-Mac] Rcartogram build failind

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 10 22:19:57 CEST 2010

On 10-06-2010, at 22:00, Erich Neuwirth wrote:

> I tried to build Rcartogram from Omegahat
> It requires fftw3 (available from www.fftw.org) to be built and installed on the machine
> before Rcartogram can be built.
> the usual configure/make/sudo install worked without problems on my Mac (OSX 10.6.3, Xcode 3.2.1, 64bit version)
> R CMD INSTALL Rcartogram then gave the following message:

You should have compiled with the same architecture you intended to compile Rcartogram with.

> gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -o Rcartogram.so Rcart.o cart.o -L/usr/local/lib -lfftw3 -lfftw3 -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
> ld: warning: in /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a, file is not of required architecture
>
> I have no experience building with Xcode on OSX, but I assume the the problem comes from the fact
> that Xcode is the 64bit version.
> Is there a switch I can set so that libfftw3 is compiled in a way R can use it?
> Is there a way to build both the 32bit and the 64bit version of the library?
> What else can I do do make it work?

Go to R for Mac OS X - developer's page at http://r.research.att.com/
Section Other binaries and tools   and then /libs/  ==>  http://r.research.att.com/libs/
You'll find fftw there in required architectures.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to wait for the experts.

Berend