[R-SIG-Mac] [R] lme4 + R 2.11.0 + mac unavailable

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Jul 30 04:40:52 CEST 2010

It gives "Darwin" on my machine.

This is an issue (binaries unavailable) of a type that is likely to
recur from time to time, and not just for OSX implementations.
At the very least, ready access to reasonably complete information
on the status of packages, both on r-forge and on CRAN and
brought together in one place, is surely desirable for widely
used packages.   The packages check summary will seem a
forbidding place fro relative novices.

Thanks to those who are cogitating about how to handle such
issues, and trying to smooth the way ahead.

There might be a link on the relevant CRAN binaries page:
"The binary for the package that you want is not available.  Click
here for details of the current status, and for a note on your options
for gaining access to it."

While compiling from source is a suitable recourse for those
who are accustomed to compile packages, encouraging
novice to compile from source seems in general a bad idea.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm