[R-SIG-Mac] JGR and snow leopard

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jul 19 15:25:13 CEST 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Hadley Wickham wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed JGR (JGR-1.6-SL.dmg).  The first time I ran it it
> installed the packages it needed (successfully as far as I can tell),
> but when JGR itself opens I get:

> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library '/Users/hadley/R/JavaGD/libs/x86_64/JavaGD.so':
>  dlopen(/Users/hadley/R/JavaGD/libs/x86_64/JavaGD.so, 6): Library not
> loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.10/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Users/hadley/R/JavaGD/libs/x86_64/JavaGD.so
>  Reason: image not found
> Error: package 'JavaGD' could not be loaded
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library '/Users/hadley/R/JavaGD/libs/x86_64/JavaGD.so':
>  dlopen(/Users/hadley/R/JavaGD/libs/x86_64/JavaGD.so, 6): Library not
> loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.10/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Users/hadley/R/JavaGD/libs/x86_64/JavaGD.so
>  Reason: image not found
> Error: package 'JavaGD' could
>
> Any ideas?

That looks fishy - JGR installs packages in the system location by default but you're loading some packages from your home - possibly for the wrong R version. I suspect you have some issue with location of packages (R_LIBS) and are updating the wrong ones - note that JGR uses its own launcher so regular rules on overriding R_LIBS don't work unless you do it when you start JGR (custom R_LIBS are then stored it in the preferences and become permanent) -- [to be precise they actually work but you have to understand at which point you're changing things ...].

So you can check your packages and clean them up or just follow this:
1) delete preferences (~/.JGRprefsrc) to make sure you have a clean start
2) delete any old related packages (optional, but helps to debug package location issues)
3) if you want custom R_LIBS, set it and start the launcher on directly the command line, otherwise just leave it alone and start JGR normally without any overrides